5 Steps to Letting Go of ControlPosted by Cheri Kuhn on
In work and in life, it’s safe to say that most of us have fallen into the trap of, “it’s just easier and more efficient to do everything myself.” This mentality might bring you killer short term success, but will eventually stifle growth of yourself and those around you. We say this from first hand experience.
A transformation from “control freak” to occasional “control hobbyist” doesn’t happen overnight. This said, the following steps will help you to move in the right direction.
- GET OVER YOURSELF! Your way is not the only way-and (surprise), it may not even be the best way.
- When it’s time to replace yourself in a particular role, hire someone better than you for the job. This goes a long way to letting go and allowing another team member to assume those responsibilities.
- Be accountable. Make sure your team knows it’s OK to call you out when you fall back into old habits-because you will.
- Make peace with the things you can’t control and throw your energy into what you can (and should) control: your health , your fitness, your decisions, your attitude, your goals.
- Resist the urge to “re-do” or “fix” a project or task that someone else has completed. If after a day you are certain that by not addressing the problem (as you see it), then work the with responsible party to brainstorm how they can resolve the problem. Most of the time-you will come to realize it’s just different from your methods, but not detrimental.
Putting these 5 things into practice will take time, but will prove to be life-changing. Stick to it, look for opportunities to improve, and you will start seeing results that will exceed your expectations.
- Tags: Delegation, Priorities
← Older Post Newer Post →